Monday, March 7, 2011

What to Eat When You Go Out-What I Eat When I Go Out

Let me start off by saying isn't good to go out to eat very often. The quality of food isn't very high, the food tends to be more processed (even the healthy things), and it is plainly more expensive than cooking at home. I do know that every once in a while it is nice to take a meal off of cooking and packing, SO here are some tips for going out to eat.
1. Always start off get a lean meat. Chicken breast, turkey breast, egg whites, salmon, ahi, mahi mahi, shrimp, etc.
2. Make sure the lean meat doesn't have sauces on it, isn't breaded, or fried. You can ask the waiter or waitress to grill. You can also say please cook it with oil and not butter. If it comes with a sauce ask for it on the side.
3. Make sure you get some veggies in the mix! Greens are the best(high in nutrients), if not greens, oranges reds, all the bright colors. Stay away from the mashed potatoes, the creamy soups, etc. Get your side of veggies steamed (no oils and butter)
4. If you get a salad don't ruin it! SO many people get salads thinking it's a healthy choice when it can easily be more calories than a sandwich. Skip the cheese(they use cheap and high fat cheeses at most restaurants), skip the candied nuts (for 6 sugar coated nuts its about 150 calories), skip the crutons(unnecessary), skip the dressing (get salsa on the side, or plain balsamic vinegar).
5. Don't eat the bread basket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Too many reasons behind this one, it's bleached flour, high in sugar, high in carbs, no nutrients, TASTY yes, but one of the worst choices to make when you're out. Just be patient and wait for your food. If you're extra hungry order an appetizer (ahi sashimi, shrimp cocktail, grilled veggies), or get a side salad.

What healthy choices I make when I order:
Breakfast:
Egg whites, no cheese, tons of veggies, dressed with salsa or hot sauce, and a side of fruit
tofu scramble, no cheese, tons of veggies, dressed with salsa or hot sauce, and a side of fruit
oatmeal (make sure it's not out of a package, no sugar), and a side of fresh fruit
oatmeal (make sure it's not out of a package, no sugar), and a side of nonfat yogurt
dry wheat toast egg whites and veggies with salsa
dry wheat toast with fruit and a non-fat yogurt

Lunch/Dinner:
Grilled Chicken and steamed veggies
Grilled Salmon and steamed veggies
Grilled Ahi and steamed veggies
Salad with tons of veggies (no cheese, no crutons, no nuts (because they are usually salted at restaurants=BAD), no dressing) either shrimp, scallops, grilled Salmon, Ahi, or Chicken with balsamic vinegar or salsa as dressing

It is ok to order brown rice, but make sure to ask if they prepared it with butter. If they did, then don't order it. Any sauces that are cream based pack on hundreds of calories to your meal as well so steer clear
HOPE THIS HELPS!!!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comment you made. It really helps me realize I should be more clear. PERSONALLY I try to not cheat even when going out-that is a cheat in itself to me. A luxury of not having to cook my meals. It is more expensive, but I plan for it.You can get something healthy and cheap on the menu, chicken salads are usually fairly cheap. Another thing to keep in mind is that eating out (fast food) is actually more expensive in the long run than grocery shopping. SO I see eating out as a splurge on my money-I am willing to pay a little more. I think everyone is different and in this case I think if you feel you need a cheat meal here and there with things like pizza or something else then go for it. I enjoy making my pizza at home. Whole wheat crust low fat cheese and tons of veggies (tastes better and more fresh to me). The cheats are planned and since I have a sweet tooth I would much rather have a dark chocolate and peanutbutter apple than a burger. Remember everyone's different, and don't feel bad if you want to have a slice of pizza. ENJOY that slice and just move forward eating healthy. That's a problem I see often, people feel too guilty after cheat meals instead of enjoying them. Enjoy! This is your life, if you want to live the entire span of it healthy you need to KNOW that there will be slip-ups and rough days. The great thing is every decision is in your hands. Start everyday knowing your decisions mold your lifestyle. Hopefully, you will choose a healthy one:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best protein shake for young women who don't work out as much as they really should!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look on the right hand side of my blog and click under protein shakes, I am adding a link so you can find a good protein! Also, protein is EXTREMELY important even if you don't workout. I know too many girls who don't eat enough protein because they say it will bulk them up. If you are consuming enough protein you will have more lean muscle which gives you the toned look. It doesn't bulk you up at all.

    ReplyDelete