Monday, April 29, 2013

If You Don't Do YOU, You Can't Help Others

I have to admit to y'all (I just got back from Texas and Y'all seems appropriate) that I have learned this the hard way. If you don't do you, you can't help others. Not only can you not help others, there's a good chance you cannot be the best friend, spouse, co-worker, or partner.

A lot of my work (both professional and personal) has to do with me trying to help people. It may be as small as teaching someone a new workout, how to make better eating choices, or be the person they have to lean on so they can get ready to make changes. I love my job, and I think I am really darn good at it.

I have just realized though, I am just like everyone else. I am not "all-knowing", nor do I "have it all", and no it sure doesn't come easy. I am going to tell you right now, I GET OVERWHELMED TOO!

This past week I got extremely overwhelmed with work, clients, friends, and family. I put everyone's needs first before my own. I wasn't happy with my week, so the people around me only got a percent of the little energy I had. My conclusion after this week is... I have to put myself first before others.

It sounds selfish; right? Well I have found out that if I don't do me, I really suck at moving in a positive direction in all the other aspects of my life. My "me" time recharges me, energizes me, makes me happy, and seriously keeps me sane.

I encourage all of you to DO YOU, don't be afraid to take a step back and realize you are human and need some time for you.

My ways to recharge:
Sleep (physical, mental)
Workout (physical)
Do yoga (more spiritual)
Sing or blog (spiritual)
Read (educational)
Cook (seems spiritual and a bit social)
Watch trash tv ( I don't know what it is but I sure do enjoy it from time to time)


What helps you recharge? Try doing some things on your list this week, and let me know how you feel after!

No comments:

Post a Comment