Thursday, April 28, 2011

What I Ate Today

I get questions on what I eat each day, so I decided it could be useful to see an example day. If you follow my blog, you know that I eat 5-6 meals a day and eat every 2 1/2-3 hours. When you take a look, I hope you notice a few things. Heavier carbohydrates (oatmeal, banana) were eaten earlier in the day because they are slower burning and don't spike your blood sugar. This regulates your metabolism and keeps you in the "fat burning" zone throughout the day. Also notice I eat protein with every meal. As much as I am working out, I am breaking down muscle tissue and need to repair it with eating a lot of protein. I also am getting in healthy fats each day (nuts, seeds, etc.). Vegetables need to be eaten at least 3 times a day in my opinion. I also try to not use too many heavy sauces, and if things taste bland I will add balsamic vinegar or mustard.
Today I had very limited options (I am moving this week and all of my food is in a mini fridge shared with my roommate). I am stuck with little options, but made it work and still packed all my meals for when I was out and about today. If I can do this YOU CAN TOO! It takes prep time, but when you have food packed and don't have to go on the hunt for something healthy it just feels great! Everyday working towards my goals. Eating like this is a part of my lifestyle, and I enjoy the way I feel when I am living it like this:)

Sample Day
What I ate Thursday April 28, 2011

Meal 1: 6am
Cup of COFFEE!!!!!!!!!!!
1/2 C. oats
5 Egg whites
6 Strawberries
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
Cinnamon


Meal 2:
Protein drink with water
Banana


Meal 3:
Big salad-
Romaine lettuce
Sliced tomato
Green bell pepper
4 oz. Extra lean ground turkey
1.5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar



Meal 4: 3:00pm
5 egg whites
Kale
Asparagus spears


Meal 5: 6:00 pm
4 oz. extra lean ground turkey
Steamed broccoli (about 1 1/2 c.)
Some walnuts and almonds (small handful)
Some mustard (maybe 1/2 tbsp)


Meal 6: 9:00 pm
Protein drink with water

ALSO: I make sure to drink about a gallon of water a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment