Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Weight loss should be the result of a goal, not the goal itself"

"Weight loss should be the result of a goal, not the goal itself"

I read this quote today, and it really hit a spot for me. After I lost weight, people began coming up to me all the time and asked what kind of diet I was on or what fad helped me lose the weight. I intended to lose weight, but my ultimate goal was to live a healthier lifestyle and to be happy. When I was carrying extra weight, I wasn't happy with myself, or the way my life was headed. I made it a goal to get my life back on track and "do me". Not worry about what other people think, and put myself first for once. I lost weight as a result of changing my habits. Less drinking, more working out, and clean eating. I started reading more, doing yoga from time to time, cooking up a storm in the kitchen, and doing other things that make me feel good about myself.
On a regular basis I hear both men and women throw out the word diet. Diet with weight loss in mind. The thing about the word diet is there are so many, and people throw the word around too lightly.
I am a server at a restaurant, and I can't tell you how many people say "well i shouldn't I am on a diet" or " I can't have that I'm on a diet". These choices shouldn't be because you are on some diet. These should just be the healthy choices you like making. Who needs tons of cheese and tortilla chips on your salad anyways?
Going on a diet to lose weight won't make you happy. What is your goal? Weight loss.. Why? AND what will you do once you hit that goal. If you are on a diet to lose 5 lbs and you lose it, most likely you will go back to your old habits and gain it back.
Instead set goals that are for the long run ie. being more active, living a healthier lifestyle, or building muscle. These goals never have an end point. They are constantly there throughout your life. If you continue to work towards them, you will probably be at a comfortable weight and feel AMAZING.
I have found that people who constantly diet, or try different fads don't last. These should be lifestyle changes and I promise you if you switch to a healthier lifestyle you will feel amazing in your skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment