Monday, May 9, 2011

Thea's Tips to Switch Up Your Salad

I love salad! I just realized I haven't been eating it lately, because I got bored with my regular old salad. Today I changed it up.
Instead of romaine lettuce (delicious) I decided to try kale, and spinach leaves. I chopped them up finely so they would be easier to nom on! I threw in some grilled chicken breast, some carrots, avocado, red onion, tomato, and last but not least today I added.....DRUMROLLLLLLLLLLL........... a broken up unsalted RICE CAKE!!! Mmmmm top that with some balsamic vinegar and I was in heaven. The rice cake made it sort of like croutons on my salad (without the guilt and excess empty calories).


Some other tips to change up your salad.
-Add sliced fruit
-Add some unsalted nuts or seeds ( I like pepitas, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sliced almonds, or walnuts)
-Add salsa or lemon juice instead of dressing
-Add chickpeas, or black beans for some added energy
-I love the mixture of chopped dates and avocado (no dressing needed)
-Fat free feta cheese (if you must add cheese, but not necessary at all)

Hope these tips help:) Now feast away on a BIG healthy salad!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tips! I've been experimenting recently with spicing up my salads and have had some really great surprises! Actually I promised in my own blog post yesterday to share some of my favorite salad toppings and homemade dressings: I'll be sure to link this page to the post!

    ReplyDelete