Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Thea's Summer Sweet & Spicy Slaw



Sometimes in the summer, things just don't sound appetizing. I like refreshing things, but salad can get repetitive, and smoothies just don't always fill me up. I wanted a snack and I wanted it to taste amazing. I was planning on eating an apple and almonds, but c'mon in all honesty it is BORING. For this reason, I spiced up and sweetened a little mix of everything.


Ingredients:
1 Apple (I used an organic Fuji)
1/2 Cabbage
1 oz. Almonds (raw unsalted)
2 Tbsp. Apple cider vinegar
1 Packet stevia or 1 tbsp honey
1 Tbsp. mustard
About 1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes (or sprinkle to taste)

1. Julienne apple, and chop slaw.
2. Throw in to big bowl and mix up.
3. In small bowl mix stevia (or honey), red pepper, apple cider vinegar, and mustard.
4. Pour mixture over salad, and toss.
5. Add almonds on top of your salad for a little crunch!


I eat this as a mid-day snack, but if you want to make it a meal you can always add tuna, shrimp, tofu, chicken, or any other lean protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment